SC - Sources for period foods...

Knott Deanna Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com
Tue Jun 2 09:20:47 PDT 1998

Hello folks,

In The Original Mediterranean Cuisine, on page 89, there is a recipe I would
like to use.  But I have a question on it.

First the original (In Italian which I do not speak or read)

POLASTRI PINI E BONI
(Libro per Cuoco)

Se tu voy fare polastri pieni e boni ber XII persone, toy li polastri,
infilali e pot li pella ben mondi, e poy trazi fuora quello dentro; poy toy
una libra de mandole ben monde e ben maxenat e colate; toy in fina VIII caxe
passi ben dolze e toy XII ova; toy patrosemolo e mante e altre harbe bone e
lavale ben e oestale ben con lo chaxo, e toy le herbe el casso e l'ova
insieme e fa pastume a mode a quello  delle fritelle; e poy toy li polastri
ben lavati e ben mondi e implili in fra pelle e carne e dentro, e un po' li
chossi bene fino che il patume non esca e sera bono.

Next, English translation of original

STUFFED CHICKENS

If you want to make good stuffed chickens for twelve persons, take the
chickens, put the on a stake and pluck them, and take out the insides; then
take one pound of well-blanched almonds, ground and sieved; take eight dried
mild cheeses, and take twelve eggs; take parsley and mint and other good
herbs and wash them well and pound them well with the cheese, and take three
ounces of spices excluding saffron, and make a paste of the herbs, cheese
and eggs as for fritters; and take the cleaned chickens and put some of the
stuffing under the skin and some inside, and cook them carefully so that the
stuffing doesn't drop out and it will be good.

Now my question

In the recipe it tells "take eight dried mild cheese".  I am figuring that
it doesn't mean eight different types of cheeses, but one   in a quantity of
eight.  What kind of cheese would they be considering dried mild?  I know
that green cheese can mean a number of things, but I do not know what to use
in this recipe.  The author suggests fresh pecorino or mozzarella, but those
are both fresh.  What is the difference in dried and fresh cheeses if I
choose to use them?

Murkial (the ever curious)

Christi Redeker
Digital Equipment Corporation