SC - parsley root

Knott Deanna Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com
Tue Jun 2 09:42:10 PDT 1998

(muahahahahah)

Greetings!

Have I got a sausage recipe for you!

>>>This is taken from "Platina, on Right Pleasure and Good Health : A Critical
Edition and Translation of De Honesta Voluptate Et Valetudine (Volume 168)" by
Platina, Mary Ella Milham. This book can be ordered by clicking the link shown
above.

The translation of his recipe in this book follows:

If you want good Lucanian sausages, cut the lean and fat meat from the pig at the
same time, after all the fibers and sinews have been removed. If the piece of meat
is ten ounds, mixin a pound of salt, two ounces of well cleaned fennel, the same
amount of half ground pepper, rub in and leave for a day on a litlle table. The
next day, stuff into a well cleaned intestine and thus hang it up in smoke.

I made this version twice.  The first time was a 15lb. batch (oops!) and the second was a 1 lb. batch for an A&S competition.  It is VERY SALTY!!  Please note:  This sausage is 10% salt by WEIGHT.  But, after smoking and salting this stuff should survive nuclear attack.

The complete (mis) adventure in sausage making can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/9523/cooking.html

Good luck!  If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Yours,
Avelina Keyes
East Kingdom