SC - Re: Grains of Paradise

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 2 17:01:05 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 06:16:51 -0700
> From: "Anne-Marie Rousseau" <acrouss at gte.net>
> Subject: Re: Grains of Paradise(was:RE: SC - Juniper berries
>
> > FYI...Grains of Paradise are somewhat illegal in this country!! At least
> > cart them over the border is. I'm not too sure what the premise is on the
> > rest of the law tho'.
> >
> By that definition, apples and other fruit, as well as wood products and
> such are "slightly illegal"...they get all puffed up like toads when you
> try and take them over the border. No problem with mail order, though. At
> least that's the case with Washington State to BC Canada. Something about
> tarrifs and taxes, I bet.

Another possibility, and one that I can't really address in depth since
I just got this information like an hour ago, is that they [grains of
paradise] are considered a controlled pharmaceutical substance. By pure
accident I ran across, in a Latino bodega, a bottle of isopropyl
"rubbing" alcohol that was apparently either an infusion of melegueta
pepper, or contained some kind of melegueta extract. I didn't get a good
look at it, and was only able to see the large print on the label, so I
have no idea what the stuff is used for, or whether it really contains
real grains of paradise.

I'll post more details if I can get them.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com