SC - Mulberry question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 3 08:23:02 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 17:51:04 -0500 (CDT)
> From: jeffrey stewart heilveil <heilveil at students.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: SC - a question
>
> Greetings list,
> I was walking home from work today, and I saw a very old world fruit that
> was horribly sweet and ripe.  So now I am looking for a period jam method.
> If anyone would be willing to share I would be willing to eat a piece of
> toast with Mulberry jam for them...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bogdan

The unfortunate truth appears to be that there are few or no jam recipes
of any kind, from "period". There are a few for preserves that are more
like fruit cheeses or fruit leather, but I'm not aware of any for
mulberries. I seem to recall a mulberry pyment (yes, I know a pyment
would normally involve grapes) mead, and I recall them being used in a
pottage somewhere, probably one of those 15th century English sources.
I'll see what I can find.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy