SC - Juniper berriesOT

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 03:27:59 PDT 1998

It occurred to me that I had another recipes that might be of interest.

the following is my conjectural recipe for oatcakes, as they might have
been eaten by Scottish troopers c. 1400:

1/2 c  "Scottish Oatmeal" --very coarsely ground whole oats.
1/4 t salt
1/4 c water

Put the oatmeal in a spice grinder and process for about 20 seconds,
producing something intermediate between what you started with and bread
flour. Add salt and water and let the mixture stand for about fifteen
minutes. Make flat cakes 1/4" to 3/8" in thickness,  cook  on a medium hot
griddle, without oil, about 3-5 minutes.

The result is a reasonably tasty flat bread. In scaling the recipe up for a
meal or a feast, you would probably want to experiment with grinding whole
oats into meal, or find a source for a finer (and less expensive) oatmeal
than the gourmet product, intended for making porridge, that I was using.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/