SC - Pine nuts

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Jun 4 16:32:49 PDT 1998

> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:49:43 -0400
> From: Ceridwen <ceridwen at commnections.com>
> Subject: SC - almond milk
>
> Quick questions:
>     What is a good proportion of almonds to liquid to make almond milk?
>     Must one grind the almonds with the liquid or is the almond meal
> from the grinding added to the liquid and stirred/soaked?
>
> Ceridwen

I've had good results by grinding the almonds, pouring 3 or 4 cups
boiling water over each cup of ground almonds, letting them steep for 5
or 10 minutes, blending everything as smooth as possible in a blender,
then straining through a fine strainer or cheesecloth. The blender helps
minimize almond waste, and also helps keep the almond oil from floating
on top.

BTW, you can usually get a second-rate almond milk (as with small beer)
from the strained, used almonds.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy