SC - Need advice...

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 19:38:51 PDT 1998

TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Bordeaux winemaker suspected of watering wine

 Somebody found a trout in the wine?

 Bear
 ============================ >>

Although this may sound "bad" to us the fact of the matter is that in the US
winemakers are allowed to add water to grape juice to make wjatever has to
balance balance. In the same way US winemakers are allowed to add sugar if
necessary , etc. The problem with the French situation is that French law does
not allow the adulteration of the grape juice so the addition of water by the
winemaker could have been merely his best judgement on producing a better
wine.

Although I infinity prefer any wine from France over that produced in the USA
(with Australia running a close second ;-)) there are certain areas of French
wine making law that are woefully behind the science of oenology. My gut
instinvt is that the wine maker and producer are the victims of a bad law and
the other Domaines found out about the innovations and decided to put up a
fuss to the authorities. My vote is guilty of watering the wine but not guilty
of producing inferior wine. :-)

Ras