SC - Keeping eggs

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Fri Jun 5 13:38:17 PDT 1998

> Could you explain? Is someone suggesting that pasta and rice were not known
> in period? Both appear in lots of period recipes, as well as other sources.

Sigh. Okay, since you ask, I will lay before you the whole silly scenario, condensed version. There is a 'nazi' in our group, for want of a better term, who believes she knows everything. She recently almost had a coronay because I proved the existence of more styles of clothing and fabrics in our time period (1150-1250) than she had first thought. I've been studying for 9 years. She's been reenacting for 6. She burst into tears, and screamed that I was trying to make her look stupid. Implying of course, that I have nothing better to do, which is absolute rubbish.

Ok, a fellow gentlewoman has decided to prove pasta, rice, brie, camembert, etc, etc, and is in the slow process of doing so.She is presenting her findings at a small feast in 2 weeks, which those of us helping out at are very much looking forward to. The 'nazi' in question also believes she is a master chef, yet the mere suggestion of these things existing in our time period sends her into a sulking frenzy, so I am almost frightened of her reacting come the feast.

Hence our quandy. We KNOW it was there, and my friend, Lady Isolde, can prove it, and many other things besides (she found your pages invaluable my Lord, BTW), yet we know it is going to cause friction and tension that is really not necessary, especially in view of the fact that we do this for fun and out of a common love of the period.

So there you go-the condensed version of the blinkeredness of a certain 'nazi' in our group. You did ask afeter all!!!!! <G>

Yours in service,

Lady Lisette.

starkiller at picknowl.com.au