SC - Horror Stories

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 5 07:16:00 PDT 1998

<snip>

>I agree. Since jams are basically fruit that has stewed a little too long I
>find it unreasonable to think that jam did not exist. OTH,Jellies I would have
>more of a problem with,. Unfortunately, I do not lnow of any medieval
>literature that refers to this food either. On gut instinct and logic , I
>would say continue serving it, just don't list it as "medieval". :-)
>
>Ras

Meat jelly was known, as this fancy dish of pork & chicken in aspic proves:

Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers

Cix.  Gelye de chare.  Take caluys fete, & skalde hem in fayre water, an
make hem alle [th]e whyte.  Also take howhys of Vele, & ley hem in water to
soke out [th]e blode; [th]en take hem vppe, an lay hem on a fayre lynen
clo[th]e, & lat [th]e water rennyn out of [hem]; [th]an Skore a potte, &
putte [th]e Fete & [th]e Howhys [th]er-on; [th]an take Whyte Wyne [th]at
wolle hold coloure, & cast [th]er-to a porcyon, an non o[th]er lycoure,
[th]at [th]e Fleysshe be ouer-wewyd with-alle, & sette it on [th]e fyre, &
boyle it, & Skeme it clene; an whan it is tendyr & boylid y-now, take vppe
[th]e Fleyshe in-to a fayre bolle, & saue [th]e lycoure wyl; & loke [th]at
[th]ow haue fayre sydys of Pyggys, & fayre smal Chykenys wyl & clene
skladdyd & drawe, & lat [th]e leggys an [th]e fete on, an waysshe hem in
fayre water, & caste hem in [th]e fyrste brothe, an sethe it a-[3]en ouer
[th]e fyre, & skeme it clene; lat a man euermore kepe it, an blow of [th]e
grauy.  An in cas [th]e lycoure wast a-way, caste more of [th]e same wyne
[th]er-to, & put [th]in honde [th]er-on; & [3]if [th]in hond waxe clammy,
it is a syne of godenesse, an let not [th]e Fleyshe be moche sothe, [th]at
it may bere kyttyng; [th]an take it vppe, & ley it on a fayre clo[th]e, &
sette owt [th]e lycoure fro [th]e fyre, & put a few colys vnder-nethe [th]e
vesselle [th]at [th]e lycoure is yn; [th]an take pouder of Pepir, a gode
quantyte, & Safron, [th]at it haue a fayre Laumbere coloure, & a gode
quantyte of Vynegre, & loke [th]at it be sauery [of] Salt & of Vynegre,
fayre of coloure of Safroun, & putte it on fayre lynen clo[th]e, & sette it
vnder-nethe a fayre pewter dysshe, & lat it renne [th]orw [th]e clo[th]e so
ofte tylle it renne clere:  kytte fayre Rybbys of [th]e syde of [th]e
Pygge, & lay ham on a dysshe, an pulle of [th]e lemys of [th]e Chykenys,
eche fro o[th]er, & do a-way [th]e Skynne, & ley sum in a dysshe fayre
y-chowchyd, & pore [th]in gelye [th]er-on, & lay Almaundys [th]er-on, an
Clowys, & paryd Gyngere, & serue forth.

Le Menagier also lists several meat jellies and fish jellies, including one
tinted blue with turnsole & decorated with armorial bearings in gold &
silver. (Power's "The Goodman of Paris", p. 280)

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"