SC - Re: Jams not period???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jun 6 07:52:48 PDT 1998

> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:36:46 -0500
> From: "Chicago Jo" <kelson at ameritech.net>
> Subject: RE: SC - Fwd: Fwd: [Mid] Food from Kingdom A&S
>
> I figured i should resend it so  that it could actually be read.
> IO thought  you might be interested in seeing this. it said that it was for
> a curia dinner at the Kingdom a&s  two weeks ago.  What does a curia dinner
> mean? I have already been called an authenticy N*** for questioning this so
> please  let me know what you think?
> Deborah
> aka
> Chicagojo

Well, it looks like perfectly good, non-period food. Hmmm, how to
explain my concerns without joining the perceived ranks of the Fascisti?

Were the diners in garb when they ate this? That's about the ultimate
distillation of all my questions. If they weren't in garb, and
alternated between SCA and mundane names in conversation, and more or
less abandoned persona, then there's no reason at all for them to eat
period food if they don't feel like it. (This, BTW, is more or less the
atmosphere of most Curia settings I've seen: a bunch of SCA officers in
a room, talking about the SCA from a fairly mundane perspective,
specifically law and policy of the Kingdom and Society, which is
something my persona wouldn't do, at least not in that way.)

If, on the other hand, this dinner was part of an event (and an A&S
event, at that) attended by SCAdians in persona, I'd be pretty concerned
about the message being sent. I think it's just as important to make a
reasonable attempt at pre-17th century food as it is to make a
reasonable attempt at pre-17th century garb. It seems as if a lot more
criticism is levelled at garb "transgressors" than at food
"transgressors", and it seems as though people who comment on food
"transgression" are more likely to be labelled as fascisti of the n _ _
_  variety.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy