SC - Jellies vs. aspics

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Sat Jun 6 19:04:02 PDT 1998

>>How difficult would it be to add Persian mint drink or some other period
>non-alcoholic drink instead of/with the tea and such? This still gives
>folks who want the old standbys while introducing some period items. It
>also could be done with a minimal extra effort and cost.
>
>Stefan li Rous

It is very easy indeed to do such a thing.  About 2 or 3 years go, I served
sekanjabin (see Cariadoc's Miscellany) with the middle eastern course of a
"crusader" style feast (European course, ME course).  It was part of a
series of sharbat syrups I prepared.  I also served a honey almond, a
tamarind, rose lemon, and jallab syrups (all homemade except for jallab).  I
made it into a learning project for my diners by supplying each table with
an assortment of syrups, pitchers of water and ice, and spoons, then
supplying them with instructions on mixing the syrups into drinks.  Lots of
people commented on how much fun it was, and though I would never NOT serve
tea (after all, I'm in Meridies), I feel more comfortable now considering
alternative beverages to supplement tea and water.  Plus, because you make
concentrated syrups, they can be made well in advance of the feast, so even
for the labor intensive preparations, they don't become a larger issue than
they're worth.
I could never convince the little old foreign ladies at the farmers market
that no, I wasn't mistaken and, yes, I DID want to buy those tamarind pods.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor

I'm not really a Chicken Goddess, but I play one on TV.