SC - Food for Pilgrimage

Alma Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 7 05:27:50 PDT 1998

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> yes of course. But wouldn't all pine trees produce pine nuts? Thus more
> than one type of pine nut.<<
>
> Are each and every one edible?  Any cautions, plant chemist friends?

IIRC all members of the Pinus genus are non-toxic.

For an interesting treat try taking strips of the inner bark from young
(pine)  branches, and roasting them (say 150 C, for 20 minutes or so).
Sweet, but still with a bit of the resiny flavour left. Not documentable
as medieval, to the beast^H^H^H^H^Hbest of my knowledge, though.

/UlfR

P.S. 150 C is close enought for our purposes to 300 F. Come on guys, it
is after all the century of the fruitba... oops, 20th century.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
Cunning and deceit will every time serve a man better than force.
                 -- Niccolo Machiavelli