SC - Horror Stories

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Jun 7 18:12:06 PDT 1998

>Just a question:
>
>I've read about plenty of horror stories on this list & I've seen plenty of
>displays of bad manners "up close & personal."  How do horror stories & bad
>manners fit in with chivalry & curtesy?  Just curious?
>Phillipa

To a degree there is something to that.  As confucius said,

"To learn something and then to put it into practice at the right time: is
this not a joy?  To have friends coming from afar: is this not a delight?
Not to be upset when ones merits are ignored: is this not the mark of a
gentleman?"

The horror stories and grumbling do not necessarily fit into what we are
trying to achieve on this list aside from the stories being sort of 'object
lessons' serving to warn us of what may happen and provide us the chance to
solve the problems before they become larger problems.  Bad communication
between autocrat and feastocrat?  Well for the next feast you run, you will
have had experience with that and will know to take steps to overcome this.
  It is true that we all learn from our mistakes, why not allow others to
learn from our mistakes as well so they do not make the same mistakes,
there can be only benefit from this.
  Besides, grumbling to people who are sympathetic to your problems, and
not necessarily biased, can be rather theraputic.  Venting allows one to
blow of sufficient steam to think clearly about something and the advice
you get afterward is useful.  The willingness to give free advice, based on
your experiences are to me a sign of a gentleperson as well.

A Philosophical Sianan hops of the box and joins the rest of them under the
nice, cool and shady rock to put on her asbestos underwear before heading
out into the kitchen once again.

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

		How can you let sleeping dogs lie