SC - Guilty conscience - Queen's dinner party

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jun 8 10:56:56 PDT 1998

> Have you still got the recipe for the sweet and sour chicken in a loaf?
> It may not be period but it sounds like a good dinner!  The Berry Kuchens
> might be period--would have to see the recipe to tell for sure <evil
> grin

I first used the recipe back with my first feast some 10-11 years ago. I think
it was from a collection of period recipes but will not stake a dollar on that.
I used it again going by intuition and people seemed to love it.

Basically I roasted chicken, boned it and placed the bones in stock water.
I mixed with the chicken, honey, mint, vinegar, salt & pepper, garlic, and
basic chicken herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage). I played with it, changing the
ratios of sweet and vinegar until it tasted right. Then I cooked the stock
down until it gelled and poured it over the chicken. I placed the mixture in
hollowed out loaves of bread. You could add anything you wish to it (green
onions, celery, nuts, whatever). The dish is very popular when I make it
but I never make it the same way twice. I may have gotten the recipe from an
old Tournaments Illuminated. I'll have to check and give the proper recipe
and acknowledgements if I can find it.

The three-berry kuchen I got from one of those supermarket check-out line
recipe books. It had various uses for applesauce. I must admit that with
blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries on the top they were very pretty.

> Has anybody ever cooked in a kitchen where they DID clean before we came?
>  (Probably why they let us in to so many places...they may be lazy but
> they're not all stupid)

Certainly, the high school where we cooked two Coronations and the National
Guard Armory where I did another were spotless when we got them.

> Allison

Yers,

Gunthar