FW: SC - Horror Story (Warning, angry cook venting)

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Mon Jun 8 12:43:17 PDT 1998

This is part of a discussion about authenticity etc. from the Midrealm.
I just loved this response, and wanted to share it.
	Christianna

    >> or drunken drumming pirate parties in the night that have
    >> NOTHING to do with the SCA (hey, guys, join a frat and go away)
    >> and so forth.

    Rob> Who says they have nothing to do with the SCA?

Particularly when you consider that getting brain-dead drunk is
absolutely, 100% period for the entire stretch of what we CALL
'period' and for just about every geographical location we consider
valid SCA-fodder. So is getting drunk and playing musical
instruments. So is being a pirate, getting drunk, and playing musical
instruments.

Getting drunk is, in fact, probably the single most authentically,
guaranteed-period activity a SCAdian can participate in, since it
requires no substitute materials to be considered 'safe' (beer does
not have to be replaced by rattan and duct tape :-D) or 'convenient'.

Indeed, my understanding and limited experience is that many of these
parties involve the imbibing of home-brewed or home-fermented drinks
made with period recipies. Therefore, these parties also double as an
opportunity to show off yet another 'period' achievement.

Micheal McPheadair
Barony of Nordskogen
From:  Michael Scott Shappe <mikey at Hundred-Acre-Wood.com>