Latwerge (Was Re: SC - Jellies vs. aspics)

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Mon Jun 8 17:29:20 PDT 1998

                      OT drunken authenticity                      6/8/98

<snip>
>This is part of a discussion about authenticity etc. from the >Midrealm. I
just loved this response, and wanted to share it.
>	Christianna
<snip>Particularly when you consider that getting brain-dead drunk >is
absolutely, 100% period for the entire stretch of what we CALL
>'period' and for just about every geographical location we >consider valid
SCA-fodder. So is getting drunk and playing >musical instruments. So is being
a pirate, getting drunk, and >playing musical instruments.
<snip>

Okay, I'll agree that getting drunk and partying is part of *every* historical
period, and definitely did not have as much of a negative stigma in SCA period
as in others... but most of the pirates I have met in the SCA are *not*
period.  Many are wonderful, generous, well meaning folk...  But most of their
costumes and songs are entirely out of period (1650-1800, or swashbuckling
hollywood style), and they usually make a big point of *not* playing the game
(eg. participating in any of the SCA activities, respecting court and Crown,
etc.), just using SCA space to dress up and camp out and be loud.  I have some
very dear friends in the SCA who are pirates- but I still wish they would try
to play by the "rules" a little more- all that energy and enthusiasm going to
"waste"!  And I try to influence them gently every chance I get. ;)
- -brid (here pirate, pirate, wouldn't your rather be a viking or...)