FW: SC - Horror story

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Wed Jun 10 06:51:13 PDT 1998

> Is sassafrass the basis for root beer?  I think I heard that, somewhere.
> If so, then birch beer might be the European variety, possibly made in
> Scandanavia.  Any vikings out there know?
>
> Regards,
>
> Allison
> allilyn at juno.com

I believe it is the chief flavoring agent in sassparilla.  Root beer is
flavored by a mixture of roots and spices (the precise mix I don't
remember).  Birch beer is flavored with birch sap.  I believe all of these
are less than two centuries old.

There are some interesting precursors to sodas in 19th Century cookbooks.
OOP but interesting.

Bear