SC - The Dom and the Rock

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jun 10 11:57:55 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here

Tyrca said about Cariadoc/David's statement about the recipes in Digby:

>I would tend to disagree. Aren't most of the recipes in Digby meant
>for medicinal use?  I think that mead had become an expensive
>"cough syrup" by this time.

My experience from making about 25 of the recipes are that many if not most were for taste not for medicinal uses.  Admittedly the "Liquor of Life" recipe and several with 18-20 ingredients were medicinal but even those had to taste good enough to drink.  My experience from many mead tastings with recipes from the book is that there is a huge variety of tastes available with the spices he used and some people will like one while other people will like another.  This has proven true to the point that different people that have attended mead tastings have adopted certain recipes as their favorite and ask for that recipe specifically.  As he did not name most of the recipes, I have gone to naming the recipes after their patrons.

Norman White
a.k.a. Jin Liu Ch'ang