SC - Alternative Drinks

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jun 11 00:23:20 PDT 1998

Allison said:

>Getting the most out of something may
>have started medievally with almond milk, but it keeps right on!

Actually, my feeling is that it might well have started with olives
and be classical or earlier. Olives go through several pressings.
The best, I believe extra virgin and virgin olive oils are the first
and second pressings and are considered the best. This is about all you
see in the United States. Since you are already paying the higher
costs to import it, it's not considered economic to use anything but
the higher priced stuff. The third and fourth pressings are available
in southern Europe from what I understand. I imagine the lowest grades
or later pressings are probably used in food (margerine?) and industrial
products today. In period, perhaps these pressings were used for lamp oil?
Perhaps soap?

I believe the use of multiple pressings also extends to grapes.

Why wouldn't this be true for fruits, too? The fruit gets pressed
and the juice gets used for something, jelly? and then the resulting
mush its used for something else. I don't remember exactly what goes
into jellies as it has been years since I made any. Perhaps the juice
and some of the pulp goes in the preserves and the rest of the juice
is fermented? Either way, I doubt the entire produce of the manor
needed to go into preserves. And if you don't do something with the
fruit, its going to spoil. Sometimes quickly depending upon the fruit.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net