SC - Pumpkins (was: Needing help with a class....)

llewmike@iwaynet.net llewmike at iwaynet.net
Thu Jun 11 17:30:49 PDT 1998

Zucchini flower recipies as promised...
I think it is likely that these were a delicacy in our period too, but I
haven't found any period sources for these, nor (so far) any italian food
paintings showing the flowers. If anyone has any info, please let me know!

On the the food. First, you should understand that zucchini actually have
both male and female flowers. The male ones grow on tall thin stalks and are
more open.  The female ones grow on short fat stalks. Once they are
fertilised, the base of the flower swells, elongates and turns into... a
zucchini.

You can use the male &/or female flowers to stuff. To use the female ones,
you have to sacrifice your zucchini at baby stage, before the flower withers
and drops off. The baby zucchini look and taste nice anyway.

Try and stuff the flowers soon after you have picked them, because the
flowers close, making the process harder. If this isn't possible, store them
wrapped in damp paper towels in a plastic bag in the fridge.

To prepare, remove the cntre stamen, remove any insects :) rinse if
necessary and dry.

Stuffing 1 (for 12 flowers) Mix together:
1.5 cups ricotta
1 bunch chives, chopped
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp parmesan
Salt, pepper, nutmeg

Stuffing 2 (12 flowers):
60g mozzarella, diced
2 slices procuitto, diced

Stuffing 3 (12 flowers):
60g mozzarella, diced (or a mix of ricotta and mozzarella)
6 anchovy fillets, mashed

Use a teaspoon or piping bag to fill the flowers. You can just twist them
closed or tie them closed using a blanched (dipped in boiling water) chives
or strips of leek, or even kitchen string if desperate. Dip in batter (beer
batter, cornflour batter, etc*) and fry in olive oil. Drain, sprinkle with a
little salt and serve hot.

*A basic batter
2 eggs, separated. Beat the whites until rocky, mix the yolks with...
1/2 cup flour, and
4 tbsp cold water, then fold in the egg whites.

Hope you like them!

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia