SC - Coffin Pastry

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:38:02 PDT 1998

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:10:01 -0700
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Prince Biskets
>
> At 10:25 AM -0500 6/12/98, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> >Experience with other recipes suggests these should be dry, slightly
> >hard and brittle, but not tough, as opposed to tender and slightly
> >chewy, such as you might find in other egg-foam based biscuits, like
> >macaroons, langues du chat, madeleines, and lady fingers.
>
> I think "hard" comes closer than "chewy" to describing them--and they keep
> forever.

I kind of figured they would, since they are commonly used as a
travelling food in the SCA, and, more importantly, since they're
biskets, which would have associated them with twice-baked travellers'
bread. It's why they're biscuits instead of cakes, akthough there are
some exceptions to this. As I say, I assumed they should be hard, and I
think the long beating would make them brittle when baked.

> >You might try actually beating the batter for an hour, and see what
> >happens.
>
> We have.

Sorry, I assumed that too. While I was speaking to both you and Gunthar,
that suggestion was aimed at Gunthar, who talked about making them. So
what happens?

> There is one noticeable change in texture of the batter towards the end of
> the process.

Can you describe the change?

Adamantius
- --