SC - Pumpkins - 2 questions

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 18:47:14 PDT 1998

At 9:34 AM -0700 6/9/98, Karen Evans wrote:

>For bread there was a guild which controlled
>apprenticeships, access to
>becomng master, was involved with price control
>(as well as local
>government) and assays.  I doubt 'everyone' knew
>how to make bread -
><<<<<<<<
>
>And which country and time period was this?  According to my research,
>in early Ireland, there were not baker's guilds, which would be a
>function of a large city.  Until the Vikings came, there were not
>cities, just clan holdings.  I don't think that this was as universal
>as it seems at first.

My impression, based mainly on post-period information, is that what you
normally had were city guilds. The York guild of bakers, if there was one,
might have had a monopoly of baking, or perhaps of selling, bread. But out
in the countryside, where most of the population lived, it would have had
no control.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/