SC - Jellies vs. aspics

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 15 07:26:02 PDT 1998

Hey all from Anne-Marie

For me, I consider two schools of thought.

There's period food, which we attempt through careful reproduction of
recipes, no subbing, no changing the cooking methods (like carmelizing the
onions because you like them better that way), no leaving stuff out becuase
"it sounds icky". You read every copy of every cookbook you can get your
hands on to figure out what they mean by "gode spice", and develop
concordances (ie huge spreadsheets of all the ingredients of every
bukkenade, for example) to see what they did where and when, ie what MAKES
it bukkenade. Period food is fun becuase its a detective game, trying to
figure out what THEY did, not waht YOU want to do.

There's also "peri-oide" food. That's where you take a medieval concept
(like stewing fruit in red wine and spices), but futz with it and change
the fruit to one you know they had in period, but you dont know of any
examples of it being used this way. You use modern allspice because your
order of grains of paradise and poudre forte havent come from Worldspice
yet. You decide to use white wine rather than red for the folks with
sulfite problems, or make a savory dish sweet because the concept of a fish
tart with fish just sounds nasty to you. Peri-oide food is fun because you
can take medieval recipes and concepts and make some wonderful inventions,
well suited to the modern food weenie palate, and exactly what folks expect
to taste and see...ie modern food in a period style.

Please note that the latter is NOT period food. Though perfectly suited for
the SCA and potentially some of the best food you ever put in your mouth,
it is not truely medieval. At least in my book. And since I can  get the
same outstanding tastes and colors and wonderous things from my collection
of truely period recipes, I leave the peri-oide stuff for situations where
I'm not claiming medieval food.

But then I'm one of those "stuffy purist" types, too! :)
- --AM