SC - creations and creativity

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jun 15 19:19:20 PDT 1998

> This recipe is based on Mrs McLintock's Receipts for
> Cookery and Pastry Work which was published in 1986 but was reproduced from
> the original Scottish cookbook done in 1736.

<snip other ingredients>

> 1 head Iceburg Lettuce, coarsley shrd

now, somewhere I learned that iceberg lettuce was developed in the early days
of the california mega-farm industry.  It was developed to be shipped east by
train in cars kept cool with huge chunks of ice. I'm pretty sure that butter
crunch and boston lettuce are recente developments as well.  What might be a
more period choice?  Romaine?  Endive?

Bonne