SC - medieval cookbooks and literacy

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 16 07:40:16 PDT 1998

>  As I said there is and assassins feast soon and I have been asked to
>prepare a dish that the autocrat had once at another event which he
>called "Fava de Morti"  which as far as I know means Beans for the Dead.
 The Feastocrat from that event has left the state, and I've never heard
of  this particular dish before.  Does anyone out there know what I'm
talking  about?
>And if so, could they send me the recipe....it  sounds......interesting.
>
>Thanx
>-Sianan

This is an entry from my book, " 366 Days of Celebrations", for November
2 :  "Il Giorno dei Morti - Italy - In Rome, the Day of the Dead is the
proper time to send engagement rings to their sweethearts, and to
announce betrothals.  Children believe that if they revere their departed
family throughout the year, they will return with gifts on this festival
night.  'Fave dei Morti' or "beans of the Dead" are rich almond cakes
colred and flavored with chocolate, orange, or other flavors.  They are
made into kidney-bean shapes."

I will see if I can track down a recipie later, but I am late now.
Mistress Christianna MacGrain