SC - Judging-OT

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 06:32:38 PDT 1998

Balldrich wrote:

>Please consider this:  If we can cook without writing everything down
>so did period cooks.  If we keep secrets about ingredients and how we
>use them so did period cooks.  If we experiment with available food
>stuffs and spices and methods of cooking so did period cooks.  How
>else did they ever come up with something "new" and wonderful for us
>to try?

Yes, but adding ingredients or mixing foods that seem logical to us may
_not_ have been considered logical or appropriate in the time period
the modern person purports to cook from.  I think _that_ is the point
that some are trying to make.  We eat food combinations and use spices
for which we can't find medieval/Renaissance equivalents.  But, SCAers
will say that X existed in period and so did Y so _somebody_ probably
used them.

Now, I had a father who concocted combinations of things that most
modern folk wouldn't eat.  He put blueberry juice in milk.  True, there
are blueberry _milkshakes_ but I haven't seen people drinking
blue-colored, berry-flavored plain milk.  (And, re-constituted powdered
skim milk at that!)  Stop and think about what someone might
"reconstruct" for our time - tuna-topped yogurt (both popular lunch
ingredients) with a colorful salsa drizzled over it.  They all exist in
our period.  They all are documentable as lunch foods.  Would _we_ eat
such a combination?  I doubt it.  Would someone try it in this century?
 Possibly, but not as a serious meal to be served to guests.  Given the
arguments SCAers put on their "documentation", though, this should pass
as a period lunch for 1998 by an SCAer in 2598.

The point has been made elsewhere that until we are thorougly expert in
the cookery of a particular country at a particular time, until we know
the recipes by heart as well as the cook did then, we really can't make
up our own combinations (without showing a similar combination in the
cookery corpus for the relevant time and place) and claim that they are
"period".

Alys Katharine, long-winded