SC - Horible rules-OT-OOP

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Thu Jun 18 02:57:27 PDT 1998

>Not all of the music got written down either. Does it follow that the Star
>Spangled Banner is a period piece--since someone could have sung it
>but not written it down?
>
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
>
>*****************************
>
>Wise Cariadoc,
>
>Your logic falters in your example.  We DO have documentation of the
>writing of both the text and music of The Star Spangled Banner.  Your
>point is well taken, but the example a bit too far off.

But we cannot prove that somebody else did not write the same tune four
hundred years earlier. Nor can we (or at least I) prove that the modern
"author" wasn't setting the words to music based on a folk tune that his
grandfather brought over from the old country--and that nobody happened to
write down previously.

We can, of course, get evidence, based on what we know of period styles,
that may make it unlikely that the tune is period--and similarly for
cooking. But what we cannot do, in either case, is jump from the fact that
they did some things we don't know about to the conclusion that anything
they could have done, they did--which I think is the jump necessary to
justify the argument I was responding to.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/