SC - Are creations period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 18 09:48:14 PDT 1998

actually, it was at a baronial A&S some months ago.  but the example
seemed characteristic of a larger problem, so i quoted it.

i don't think that being a laurel, or any award per se, is an appropriate
criteria for judging.  i'd rather see fellow members of the local cooks
guild as judges for cooking, brewers guild for brewing, etc. than someone
brought in on the strength of an award alone.

which is not to denegrate many fine generalists who have peerages and
other awards.  there are many, and they are fine judges.  i think the real
problem is in the judging criteria which, since it must serve for many
categories, often has characteristics antithical to a specific category.

would the folks on this list be interested in forming a committee to come
up with a general set of criteria for judging culinary entries?

elaina