SC - An excuse for a party

Balano1@aol.com Balano1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 18:28:14 PDT 1998

>I've had good luck with garlic spray and with hands and a torch
around dusk.

>Rowan

One must assume sweetie that you mean a torch with batteries and not
one with a flame.  This reminds me of a slightly off-topic story:

About 15 months ago after harvesting a large patch of mustard plants
(to make home-made mustard) and borage (to make Borage beer and some
borage flowers for subtleties) I was left with a large expanse of
desiccated plants.  Feeling lazy, I decided rather than pulling the
plants out that I'd burn them out.

Don't ask why...call it a 'brain spasm'...I also don't know why I felt
it necessary to drench the plants in half a gallon of lighter fluid.
Anyway, one was expecting the patch to slowly burn but the plants were
SO dry that it went "WOOF" and flames shot 20 feet in the air with
crackling and popping sounds like fireworks.  The neighbours stared at
my incendiary vegetable garden and my frenzied attempt to put it out
with a garden hose.  How I managed to not set anything else on fire
(or attract the attentions of the Fire Brigade) is beyond me.

Not that anyone told me that Borage, when elderly and dry, secretes
saltpeter crystals around its structures so that it burns rather well!

Which leads to my question:

Does anyone have any documented recipes (apart from salads) for Borage
leaves or flowers?

Regards,

Drake Morgan,
Lochac.