SC - sorrel bugs

Fri Jun 19 06:41:13 PDT 1998

> It stands to reason, though, doesn't it? It had to be either Martha or
> St. Lawrence. (I once plotted to open a restaurant in New York called
> "The Saint Lawrence Grill". Investors mysteriously pulled out. Can't
> imagine why.)
>
> I don't know St. Lawrence's feast day. Instead of my usual scenario
> where I can't find the book, this evening I can't even find the book
> _case_ it was in. It occurs to me, though, that barbecued food is
> indicated ;  )
>
> Adamantius

After looking up St. Lawrence martyr (There are three St. Lawrences) I
now fully appreciate your little joke.

The good news is that St. Lawrence martyr's feast day is August 10. We
could have a late barbecue at Pennsic!

For those of you who don't know the story of St. Lawrence martyr, he was
a deacon of the early church in charge of assisting the poor and needy.
When the greedy, pagan Prefect demanded the church's wealth Lawrence presented
the people to him saying, "This is the wealth of the church!". Needless to
say the Prefect was less than satisfied with this answer and demanded Lawrence
to be killed slowly and painfully. So he was placed on a grill over a slow
fire. Evidently Lawrence was so filled with holiness that he barely felt the
flames and even joked that one side was done so he needed to turn over.

Ah, those jolly men of old!

Yers,

Gunthar