SC - Are creations period?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Jun 19 07:37:27 PDT 1998

Here are couple of Tuscan recipes that caught my eye in The Medieval Kitchen
(early birthday present from my darling wife).  They should transport well
without refrigeration, cook up easily on an open fire and be scalable.  BTW,
I didn't see anything about the size of this feast.  How many people are you
serving?

Bear

Of onion salad.  Take onions; cook them in the embers, then peel them and
cut them across into longish, thin slices; add a little vinegar, salt, oil,
and spices, and serve.

2 pounds medium sweet onions (about 6)
olive oil
wine vinegar
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine spices (see below)
salt
pepper

Put the onions into the coals and let roast until tender (I'd estimate 30
minutes to 1 hour.  Select one onion and test it every so often with a fork.
Be sure they are done, Ras can not abide half-baked onions.)  Remove from
the fire, peel and cut into thin slices with a sharp knife.  Put the onions
in a salad bowl, season with salt, pepper, and spices.  Add oil and vinegar
to taste.

Fine spice mixture:

2 rounded Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 rounded Tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 rounded Tablespoons ground ginger
1 1/2 Tablespoons saffron threads, loosely measured, crushed to powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Mountain mushrooms.  Take mountain mushrooms and boil them; and discard the
water; then fry them with finely sliced onion, or with white of leek,
spices, and salt, and serve

1 pound mushrooms
1 small onion
olive oil
1 pinch ground pepper
1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
2 pinches ground coriander seed
salt

Boil about 10 minutes, drain thoroughly.  Sweat the onion in the olive oil
until very soft.  Add the mushrooms, saute on high heat for about a minute.
Season with salt and spices.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15
minutes, checking and stirring occasionally.

Hmmm.  I've got a half dozen small portobellos and a bunch of leeks in the
fridge.  Wonder if this would go well with leftover roast?

In case you haven't done this before, you change pan temperatures by
increasing the distance between the pan and the coals.  I've found that most
cooking works best with a bed of coals rather than flames.  The heat from
the coals is more even.