SC - mountain mushrooms

Fri Jun 19 18:47:49 PDT 1998

> Well, if I may ask, what about it? It gives us some idea about what
> foods were eaten, but for the most part, it doesn't really demonstrate
>
> how. Period recipes, BTW, being artifacts, are part of the body of
> archaeological evidence. Unfortunately there seems to be comparatively
>
> little in the surviving body of bardic/druidic unwritten "literature"
> that says much about how all those hazelnuts, trout, salmon and leeks,
>
> etc., were eaten.
>
> Ever read "Motel of the Mysteries", by any chance?
>
> Adamantius

<giggle>  one of my favorites... I remember it vividly every time I
watch an archeaology  program on TV, or even anthropology... especially
since being in the SCA. There is far more that we'll never know than
what we have, and speculation can be presumptuous, at the least. One
must have a very knowledgeable background in any culture to make
"creations" that a real person from that culture would find acceptable.
Example: the Chinese seamstresses I used to work with are *appalled* at
what we call Chinese cuisine here in America. If we can go that far
afield with an existing culture's traditions, it only stands to reason
that we are even farther from the reality of a culture that no longer
exists.
Ceridwen