SC - Horible rules-OT-OOP

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 08:46:31 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> I believe much would depend on the dough you use, as well as the method of
> freezing (as you noted).
> We used fresh pasta sheets (containing flour, water, egg and salt). Placed
> dollops of filling (cheese and herb, as per Barbara Santiches new book on
> The Original Mediterranean Cuisine), seal with a fork. The pasta was fairly
> well floured, so when we threw them in the ziplock bag and then into the
> freezer, they didnt stick to each other at all. The air was evacuated
> (using a straw or a good puckerer) before freezing. They were frozen for
> several weeks before use, and thawed in the bag with no problems. Ice
> crystal formation can be avoided by limiting the water in the bag, (wax
> paper wouldnt do this), and by being sure that the raviolies are totally
> dry. If you use water to seal them and then dont let them dry??

Another possibility is to freeze them on oiled cookie sheets with a
sprinkling of flour or starch, or perhaps lined with parchment paper,
then remove them, bag them, and return them to the freezer. Obviously
this takes up more room in the freezer, but if one has access to a big
freezer, or more than one freezer, the method is pretty foolproof, and
takes up no additional room once the job is done.

As for the problem of thawing in or out of the bag, and the problems
inherent to either method, I wonder why they are being thawed at all,
unless they're stuck together, which doesn't happen using the above
method. Just drop the frozen mawpockets right into your boiling cooking
liquid. It may take an additional minute or two to bring the liquid back
to the boil, but the end result is pretty much identical.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com