SC - Re: Fire holders

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Sun Jun 21 15:15:09 PDT 1998

> Recently I got a copy of Hofrichter and Grassnick's Deutsche historiche
> Buergerhaeuser (German historical city houses) that shows the Albrecht
> Durer's restored kitchen in Nuremberg. Great picture of the kitchen with a
> metal pot on the hearth with a flat lid - no handle on the top. This could
> easily have had coals placed on top as rcommended in the 16th recipes. No
> rim around the edge, like a dutch oven, though.
>
> Valoise

Might these "Deutsch" cooking pots be the precursor to what we call "dutch"
ovens? The idea of the rim and handy loop handle and handle jack coming later?
 Sounds like the german cooks were leaps ahead of the rest, how clever to
raise the hearth up so the cook could stand to work instead of bending.

To the person using a griddle and metal pan to imitate a baking cloche, King
Arthur Flour Co catalog has a smallish cloche that fits on a baking stone.
Williams Sonoma sells these also. They are small enough to fit in a regular
oven, you might be trying to make something larger. So, brainstorming for
cheaper and bigger, I come up with:

a very large terra cotta pot instead of the metal bowl on top,

on the bottom, placing coals in a shallow terra cotta dish slightly smaller in
diameter than the metal griddle, and deep enough that the rim of the dish
keeps the griddle from direct contact with the coals. The shallow dish sitting
amoungst more coals.

Bonne