SC - Re: seeking recipes (Outdoor Feast)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jun 21 20:00:15 PDT 1998

RuddR at aol.com wrote:

> I suppose one could select medieval receipts that could be made using kosher
> ingredients, but does anyone have any leads on authentic period Jewish
> cookery?
>
> Rudd Rayfield

I found this book listed on the Amazon.com web site: it is by one of the
people referred to in the New York Times article on Jewish Foods of the
Spanish Inquisition I referenced earlier. The author of the book is one
of the people who worked on something like 85 recipes of secret Jews
living in Spain in the early 16th century -- the book may or may not
include material about eating habits, but I would bet that it does. Of
course, the book predates the NY Times article, so there's no guarantee
it and the Times article are in any way the products of the same body of
research. On the other hand, it's worth a shot.

"Secrecy and Deceit: The Religion of Crypto-Jews", by David M. Gitlitz,
Jewish Publication Society of America, 1996, ASIN 0827605625.

Summary courtesy of Amazon.com:

> Despite the increased attention given to Hispano-Jewish topics, and
> the "conversos" or Crypto-Jews in particular, this is the first
> thorough compilation of their customs and practices. Gitlitz has
> culled from Inquisition documents and other sources to paint a
> portrait of the richness and diversity of Crypto-Jewish practices in
> Spain, Portugal, and the New World.

Adamantius

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com