SC - Ginger-free gingerbread (was galingale)

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Jun 23 07:31:59 PDT 1998

Robyn Probert wrote:

> More trivia on St Nicholas
<snip>

> I understood it was 3 bags of gold (rather than balls), left in the shoes on
> the windowsill - this also being the origin of leaving stocking/shoes out at
> Christmas for St Nicholas (aka Santa Klaus who's bishop's robes were
> transmogrofied by Coca Cola into that jolly red and white entity). In some
> parts of Europe, present giving still happens on 6 December, or children are
> given sweets (if good) or coal (if bad). But you all knew that anyway.

Interesting! I understood the three bags of gold were tossed over the
back wall of the poor man's house...as for the interesting modern
traditions, I like the Dutch version that has St. Nicholas accompanied
by a swarthy, vicious Spaniard, dressed as a conquistador, and named
something like Pedro Negro. He carries a big stick, y'see, and when
you're naughty...wham!

> I like the St Laurence story the best though...

Me too. "Turn me over. I'm done on this side." Another more or less
contemporary account has Lawrence telling the torturers, "Take me off
this gridiron and bring me to the Praefect. We'll see whether he prefers
his meat burnt or rare." I don't recall the source, unfortunately. I'll
have to look it up.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com