SC - almond milk

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jun 24 18:35:25 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/24/98 12:23:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << Stale bread ground to
>  a powder doesn't have significantly more air in it than matzoh ground
>  similarly; in both cases the majority of the air in a sample of either
>  will be between and around the grains, not inside them. >>
>
> Master,
>
> I beg to differ. There is significant difference between powder and crumbs.
> Crumbs would have more air spaces than powder. 1 cp of bread crumbs added to a
> recipe would be a far less dense product than the product resulting from using
> 1 cp of bread powder in the same recipe.

True, but that's not what I said. I thought of using that example
myself, and rejected it for various reasons. My comparison was between
finely ground matzoh crumbs and finely ground stale or toasted bread,
such as would be used in a cameline sauce. Fresh bread crumbs are almost
impossible to grind really finely, but once you get the particles small
enough, you can eliminate the majority of air pockets and bubbles that
would be found in larger particles, and what I said about air around the
particles rather than in them would apply. My point was only to
demonstrate that matzoh can be used in this way, without significant
difference in the density of the final product, if it is used correctly.
Also, we haven't demonstrated that Lady Philippa's references to a
"heavy taste" are really a function of density, as in specific gravity.
I suspect it's more an issue of viscosity, which ought not to pose
serious problems if the matzoh is used correctly.

Basically, a quarter ounce of precooked wheat starch is a quarter ounce
of precooked wheat starch, and in theory, each form has the same
thickening power. I've also found this to be true in practice, at least
so far.

> Just my thoughta,

They make sense, but were somewhat out of context, I suspect. We missed
you too, BTW ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy