SC - Competitions?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Jun 25 10:54:13 PDT 1998

I personally enter them to get my work out where it can be seen and to get
comments on my work and documentation.  I have never entered anything food
related, either.  There are a couple of reasons for that, the main one being
that I really have way too many irons in the fire right now and want to devote
time to some of my other interests.  The other is that I cook feasts because I
enjoy cooking.

I do agree that period food is best presented as a feast rather than an entry
into a competition because then everyone has an opportunity to try the fruits
of the cooks research and a single dish in a competition, to me, is a bit out
of the proper context.  On the other hand, I think is important for those who
period cooking to enter competitions, because it is always an under
represented art (here at least) and it is a way to work on breaking down the
myths about period food that people still hold.

How's that for wishy-washy?

Noemi