SC - Sourdough

Thu Jun 25 13:20:09 PDT 1998

> Do I NEED to add compressed yeast to the dough?  We just found out
> that my son is sensitive to yeast (but not the kind in sourdough), so
> we're looking for alternatives.

<deleted>
> Thanks.
>
> Claricia

No, you don't have to add yeast.  Remember that this is a "professional"
recipe and when you are cooking for hire, you do everything you can to make
things work in a timely manner.  They add the yeast rather than wait on an
extended rise.

If you find you want to boost the yeast a little, try dissolving a quarter
teaspoon of dry active yeast in the water before you break up your cup of
starter.

Bear