SC - Competitions?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 26 08:36:40 PDT 1998

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:

> Most SCAdians wouldn't pass a freshman-level general Medieval history exam,
> let alone be able to slog through a graduate-level seminar.   And the few who
> could, already have, and sit here wondering why there isn't more interest in
> general mdeieval knowledge in a group which purports to be an educational
> organization specializing in that period.  History cannot be sliced and diced
> into a year here, and a year there.  It's a line, a continuum, and one thing
> leads to another which leads to another, and if you don't know where you've
> been, how the heck can you know where you're going?

takes me back, wolfmother!  i was in the early sca ('68-'72) and then
spent three years at an airforce base in montana before returning to the
northern california area and the sca.  i was shocked, disappointed, and
angry to find people ('new' people) hustling around as if they were
important who had no concept of when the middle ages were, what had
happened during those years, or what we were trying to re-create.

i suppose i've since come to terms with this, but in those days we hadn't
even invented the 'stuffy purist' category much less the authenticity
police.

i have to admit being glad to see any move towards more understanding of
our period and the people who lived in it (even at the expense of being
thought a 'history class') rather than the bunny fur and blades bunch who
see no difference between beowulf, shakespeare, and the sword in the stone
and who want chocolate cake and chili sauce on their feast menu.

elaina, stuffy purist

"I am old, I am old,
 I will wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
 I hear the mermaids calling each to each,
 They do not call to me."
           T.S. Eliot