SC - Venizia - off topic [back on topic]

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 16:30:38 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/25/98 10:15:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:

<< Does it appear this way or only from certain peoples perspective? >>

IMO, there has been a great change in this area since I joined the SCA 12 yrs.
ago. At one time, for example, one had only to be acknowledged by ones "peers"
in a given area to recieve kingdom level awards. "Peers" were defined more
liberally and included not only the "peerage" as such but the voice of those
you were socially intimate with such as your shire. Now "peers" is literally
the peerage. Those same peers then SEEM to set as a standard not only their
own accomplishments but add to the criteria the necessity of surpassing the
work they themselves have done..  Mind you, I do not have an opinion of
whether this should or should not be but only my personal experience that this
is the way it seems to be.

<<Could it be as we grow older in the Society there becomes the option of a
blend of
 the two simply because of the knowledge we gain? >>

Agreed, This is an option. Is it a good option? IMO, no. There should be a set
standard of achievement based on the overall purposes of the Society. This
standard, IMO, should nbot be based on surpassing cumlative knowledge. Such a
standard would eventually have the affect of closing the polling orders to any
new members or result in such high standards that the average SCAdian would
have no hope of ever achieving such an end unless he/she possessed the
equivalant of a mundane doctorate's degree. Since that was not the original
intention of establishing such orders, the current trend toward it is
saddening.

<<How we individually respond to this is the responsibility and want of the
person themself.>>

I disagree. Any other organization has set standards for advancement which are
subject to surpassing those who have already achieved those standards. There
is certainly a lot to be learned politically and administratively when one has
achieved a high level of expertise in the arts making an apprentice/master
relationship a very good thing, if only for the purpose of fine tuning and
polishing an individual for the responsibility that goes with appointment to
an order. But where is the line drawn?

Let us step outside arts and sciences for a moment into another area like
service. What qualia person for a kingdom level service award? Devoted service
to the Kingdom and the SCA, Inc. comes to mind. What defines that sort of
service? 4 years as seneschal, 2 years as deputy A&S minister, 2 years of A&S
minister, 2 years as chronicler, tailor to his Majesty, numerous feasts,
classes and literally hundreds of dollars in time and material donated? IMO,
definitely. But apparently to others, no.

Thus by defining the necessary steps for attainment of the High Orders of
Merit it , at the very least, would take it outside the the area of  the
personal and completely eliminate the "I'm having a bad hair day" or " I just
don't like that person" category.

 <<Micaylah -who is perhaps looking at this too simplistically-  >>

Perhaps, but then again there is the chance that I may be looking at it in a
far too complex manner. :-)

Ras