SC - Bread/Beer

Fri Jun 26 17:13:24 PDT 1998

At 11:46 PM -0500 6/13/98, Bogdan listed his planned Pennsic menu, asking:

>I would love ANY thoughts and comments on the menu.
>NOTE: All meats will be preserved with the "Lord's Salt" recipe found in
>the Miscellany on page 110.  This is a wonderful and EASY pickle.  The one
>exception to this is the Marinated Trout which appears to be it's own
>preservative.  This section will provide main courses only, and the rest
>of the meal will be filled in with things from snacks and other things I
>have not worried about yet...
Meat pickled with the Lord's Salt is good, but it lends a strong and
distinctive taste to whatever you make with it.  By the end of the week,
unless you and yours are very fond of vinegar, you are going to be sick and
tired of that taste.  Maybe if someone you know is going offsite during the
week or is coming in you can make arrangements for fresh meat to be
delivered so that you can cook it almost immediately for one of those
dinners.  Also, the fried broad beans from Platina are good; the Cooked
Dish of Lentils (lentils with eggs) are good; and have you considered any
of the noodle and cheese versions (Macrows, Loseyns, etc.)?  Even at
Pennsic, eggs will keep unrefrigerated for a few days, and if you can get
the 8-oz. cheeses in wax, they will keep well until the wax is cut.

>Drinks:
>this is also shakey.  At the moment...
>Water
>Sekanjabin (Misc. pg. 104)
>Hippocras (Misc. pg. 104)
>Goerm's Mead (I hope, if I can get him to part with some)

We also bring some of the other syrup drinks, which like sekanjabin have
the syrup made in advance and diluted on site when you want the drink.
Lemon syrup and pomengrante syrup both start with equal weights of sugar
and juice and get cooked down to a syrup; both of these are good hot as
well as cold, mixed somewhat stronger when you are making them hot.

Sounds interesting, and a good deal more ambitious than we generally are.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook (about 2 weeks behind the list)