SC - Meat and Lord's Salt-OOP

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 21:04:21 PDT 1998

At 12:01 PM -0400 6/27/98, Micaylah wrote:

>I did a "theme" feast for Feast of the Hare last year. I agree with what you
>are saying about not having say, a Scots persona doing a Silk Road theme.
>But given what I have just stated, a Middle Eastern persona would do a
>Middle Eastern feast. I therefore "became" Middle Eastern for that feast.

I have no problem with doing a period Middle Eastern feast-Elizabeth and I
did one at thirty year, with lots of help. I don't even object to a Scots
persona doing a period middle eastern feast. Our personae are living in
contact with lots of foreigners, and it isn't all that odd for some of the
barbarians to get interested in civilized cooking.

What I was objecting to was a silk road feast--i.e. one course from Italy,
one course from the Middle East, one course from China, ...   . That is
something that I don't think anyone in period did.

>Here in Ealdormere we recognize (and it took a long time for this to evolve)
>Asia and the Middle East as part of the Known World. As a matter of fact,
>one good Sir (Roak of the Rozakii) just received his Willow for Middle
>Eastern dancing. Try picturing a knight shaking his booty around a camp fire
>if you can? And doing it well! It truly is a sight to behold!

My reservations there are not about the Middle Eastern part but about
whether anyone has enough historical information to make a reasonable
reconstruction of what was done in period.

Also, I think that "Asia" and "The Middle East" are rather different cases.
Much of al Islam--Andalusia, Outremer, the Islamic parts of southern
italy--was in regular contact with Europe through our period. Moors and
Saracens were a part of the medieval european world, people who were
regularly fought with, traded with, incorporated into history and
literature. China is a very different case, and Japan still more so--until
the very end of period, Japan didn't really exist from the standpoint of
Europe.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/