SC - Competitions?

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 28 19:23:00 PDT 1998

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There was a great deal of discussion on the list about entering
> A&S competitions and finding the right judges. Now I may be throwing
> fat on the fire here but I have a question, mainly to the Laurels
> here but also to everyone else. Why enter A&S competitions?

Competitions allow a cooking person to show their stuff with more complex foods,
dishes than a feast will allow. Granted, you can get pretty complex with a feast
BUT, it is difficult to get that attention to detail in a feast you can get when
displayig your items at a competition.It also gives members of the populace
interested in your field of expertise to come by, sample your food and talk to
you without you being half crazed trying to get a feast together.  It also gives
the laurels a central location to see a maximum number of artisans in one place,
thus giving the artisan more exposure to a larger number of laurels.

> The way I look at it is that we get the opportunity to display our
> talents to the majority of people at all the events all year round.

It isn't the same.  The people 'sampling' your display have very little
opportunity to talk to you about the feast.  It is difficult enough to cook for
a large group (using Steppes Twelth Night as an example).... I am sure you
didn't have time to chit chat with anyone coming into the kitchen asking
questions about the feast.

IF you set up a display, the quality time you can spend with people increases
immensely. It is very intimidating to some to come up to the kitchen to talk to
a cook about the feast, especially when you are trying to get everything cooked,
plated and served on time.  So, doing an A&S display (no one says you HAVE to
enter an arts and sciences competition... just display your work).
And then there is the competition aspect of things. There are people that enjoy
competing against a standard (I know Ansteorra doesn't have these yet, but the
laurels are working on judging criteria).  This way, they can see how well their
work is progressing AND see how others are doing.

> Someone once told me that if I wanted a Laurel I should enter A&S
> competitions, hold classes, and teach people my art. Also I should
> become proficient in more than one field. Well, to start off, I'm
> not pursuing a Laurel (trust me, one Peerage is headache enough) and
> I think I already do those things. At least a couple times a year over
> the past few years I've had the chance to display what I do to
> crowds ranging from 100 to 500. I'm now doing my best to teach other
> cooks period techniques and assist them in menu planning. I haven't
> held classes, although I've thought about doing a couple, but I think
> that period cooks teach the populace whenever we give them a tasty dish
> that is of the period.

That is partly true. We also teach the populace when we hold classes at King's
College or local collegium or at any event and teach about how to run a feast,
period foods, how to eat period when you don't know how to cook, how to
interpret period recipes, etc.And to be honest, doing all this doesn't guarentee
anyone a laurel. It does guarentee that they will be looked upon as a wonderful
artisan and a teacher.  Also, writing an article for the local newsletter is a
big help as well.

> I can understand entering small, fancy dishes that you wouldn't be able
> to duplicate on a grand scale in an A&S. I also think A&S competitions
> are valuable venues especially for artists whose work isn't on display
> as much. Calligraphers & Illuminators is a good example of this. But
> it just seems that we cooks, and brewers and bards have so many
> opportunities to show off what we love to do and get nearly instant
> feedback that entering them seems almost unnecessary. I've even voted
> for a full Italian meal that the cook served and instructed on how
> everything was prepared and eaten. She won first place and it was well
> deserved but I would have appreciated the meal more if she had served
> a feast with the same information.

True, you could do those fancier dishes for A&S, you could also do an entire
course for a feast and have it set up with all the trappings and utensils that
would have been used to serve that feast.  Also, you can educate people on HOW a
feast was served, WHY certain dishes were served and in what sequence they were
served. My question is:  When will you have the time to talk to these people as
you are preparing the feast, OR for the brewer, running the tavern... OR, for
the bard..... while they are preparing to perform.... doesn't seem feasible.

> I don't know if I'm going to go down in flames for this but it just
> seems curious to me. We are the luckiest people in the Society because
> our skills are sampled by so many people and we get so much appreciation
> for our work.

That is true.... Good food certainly can win over many people.... food and drink
hit all the senses...... and yes, the instant gratification is nice,   But
others get instant gratification as well, clothiers who wear incredible
outfits.. everytime they get stopped and someone tells them how gorgeous their
clothes are... I am sure it is the same feeling we get as cooks when we share
our food with others.
And, no flames here Gunthar.... don't even think you will get singed! (GRIN)

> Just some thoughts, so whaddya say?

I say, I'd love to see you at least do some displays at Laurels Prize tourney in
November! How's that for a challenge????

Meadhbh