SC - Galingale substitute for Ginger

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Sun Jun 28 20:29:34 PDT 1998

Hiya from Anne-Marie
Bogdan asks:
> I know that I have read through some old discussions on tripods (and I am
> sure Stefan will refer me to a file), but I have an offer for a free
> tripod, made to my specifications, and I would love some advice.
Ideally,
> if you know of period pictures of tripods I would appreciate it.  I saw
> the one in Take a thousand eggs or more, and it looks tempting with all
of
> the hooks running down the legs, but I don't want to limit myself.  I
> figure if my brother wants to do some smithing work for me as a trial of
> his new forge, who am I to turn him down???

The reading I've been doing for 14-15th century Europe says they used those
cool hooky things, but they aren't tripods, they're "dipods" :), ie a set
up like a modern swing set. They also got setups where a metal bit (or
wood?) is stuck into the ground on each side and a cross piece is suspended
between them over the fire to hang the pots from.

Neither of these is the standard SCA-blackpowder group tripod gizmo. Still
havent seen an appropriate one of those in the p8rimary source material.

- --AM