SC - help

Steve Manning fergusmacgill at rmci.net
Sun Jun 28 23:46:47 PDT 1998

Adamantius commented:

>The one and only competition I have ever entered in the SCA included a
>small ale and a mead as an accessory to a basket of various preserved
>travelling foods.

Master Adamantius, I would be interested in hearing more about this
basket of travelling foods you put together. What kinds of foods?
What methods of preservation did you use? What documentation did you
use?

Unfortunately, your experience with your small ale is not the exception
from what I have seen. If often seems that flash takes precedance over
periodness. The one-of-a-kind gift piece will likely win over the
reproduction of a piece closely identical to a more crudely crafted
piece used by the thousands in period. The young, small ale drunk
by the majority of folks in period will likely lose out to the fine,
aged wine drunk by an extemely small portion of the populace. We seem
to strive for the best even if it requires non-period ingredients or
proportions rather than the most authentic.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net