SC - cider apples

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 29 00:32:44 PDT 1998

Caroline commented:

>Another factor is that true cider is made from cider apples,
>which are much more bitter than eating apples, modern apple juice is made
>from eating apples.

Oh! I hadn’t realized this, but it makes sense. Unfortunately, I imagine
most apples that I find in the grocery or the juice I find there is
likely to be made from these eating apples.

Anyone have any idea what the names of these cider apples? Or if the
juice is available somewhere? Maybe a dried mix or concentrate for
cider makers?

Did they make a distinction in period between sweet and cider apples?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net