SC - OT Creativity Changes

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 04:06:16 PDT 1998

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Karen Evans wrote:

I wrote (citation marks changed to make them obvious):

>> Based solely on my own perspective I don't see this as a bad thing.  But
>> then I get my kicks from striving towards doing things right. The long
>> term (say, within the next two centuries :-) goal is to have
>> *everything* just right. The fun is trying, learning, and making.

First of all an apology for being unclear: the long term goal is my
personal one, I'm not speaking for anyone else in that.

> I think the problem  others are addressing is  the feeling  of 'I  am
> right, and you are  wrong'.   In the 60's when the society began,
> there was a feeling of acceptance for  everybody's way of  doing
> things.  There were not those  trying to force their opinions  on
> others.

But when the loud "Friday night drunks in tattered tabards" singing "99
bottles of beer on the wall" interfere with my possiblility to enjoy a
"medieval" atmosphere, aren't they forcing their opinion on me? Should I
respond by being totally in persona and throw a spear into their midst?

> I  admit that I do not appreciate  the Friday night drunks in
> tattered tabards, but  they  recreate  what  they want,  and so  do I.
>   We do not  have "period police" even when it  seems that we should.
> We accept  the newcomers, burned-out oldtimers, obsessive "only  one
> right way" re-creationists, and lazy "this is good enough" drunks.
> All  are a  part  of us,  and all  should be cherished  as such.  We
> have a place for everyone.   That's what I think  about  creativity
> vs re-creation.  Both have their place.

I am not denying anyone the right to their opinion, only asking why it
is only the "stuffy purists" who should accept the others, and let them
do it their way? I know that my question is unfair, since my being
period does not normally interfere with their drinking while the reverse
is at times true, but I think most here understand. Can't those who just
want to party in tabards join a frat, and let the rest of us try to live
the middle ages?

Perhaps we will have to go to where events are labelled "P" (party), "A"
(authentic) and "EG" (enchanted ground), so that we could chose what
events we should attend and what to expect when we get there? Sad, but
perhaps the only way.

> feel  so  comfy  "under  the rock" is that  acceptance  that I see  as
> necessary  in the  SCA.   If  competitions make you uncomfortable,
> don't enter.

I don't, not because they make me feel uncomfortable, but because they
make no sense to me.

> If  you want to maintain a more exacting creation  than
> your neighbors at camp, please do so  without  a  snobbish attitude.

I try to, not because of the neightbors, but because I allways strive to
make it better. No snobbery; there are lots who are better than I am,
all I do is try to improve.

> You are enjoying yourself,  allow  that  privilege  to  others.

But how can I possibly feel as if I were in the middle ages when I camp
next to a frat party? Who shall give in an reduce their enjoyment in
order to increase the others?

/UlfR
(pretty much flameproof, but willing to listen to arguments)

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
"Stop! Think! There must be a harder way to do this"