When did they start aging wine? (was Re: SC - creations and creativity)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 29 09:36:53 PDT 1998

I have this calendar called "forgotten english" by Jeffrey Kacirck, and it
has an entry on verjuice that I found interesting.  Unfortunately, the
calendar doesn't come with documentation but...

"Tart medieval conconction made from an add assortment of ingredients.
The name derives from French Vert Jus, "green juice."  Used in cooking or
as medicine in the fourteenth to eighteenth centuries, it was said to
contain such acidic fruit juices as sour apple, grape and carb apple,
often fermented.  Other sources say that crab juice and pork broth could
be included.  Whatever its composition, when muxed with wine, lye and
fuller's earth, verjuice was also a component of a cleaning solution for
furs and woolens."

comments?  Especially on the crab juice and the cleaning solution?

Bogdan