SC - competitions

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Jun 29 14:45:47 PDT 1998

I will try to hunt it up.
In Hartford near the house of a friend is a farm that sells the raw milk,
and I got into cheesemaking to get the curds[comfy food from childhood, I
like the way they squeek when you eat them...] I  haven't really tried using
store milk for the cheese, but it is supposedly possible.
I basically wanted to show how they would have been thrifty with the milk in
period, basing it on some pensy dutch cooking my mom learned from her
grandmother, a fair number of books on dairy and cheese making, and in
reading a few of our basic recipe books and the infamous food in history and
some others. To give a rough idea, recreating a typical 2 day segment of a
period small farm by letting a gallon of milk[representing the average days
milk from 2 cows] settle and separate out on a cool room[a mini fridge with
the temperature set at 50 to emulate a buttry in the summer, as this was the
first week of september.] I took the cream and made the butter. I took the
second gallon of milk and combuned the 2 to be the secon days milking. I
brought it up to temperature, addedd the rennet and let it curd up. I cut
the curd and did a light cheddaring[bring it to 100 fahr for 2 hours] and
drained off the whey. I recut the curds and salted half of them, and for
dietary reasons didn't salt the other half. I pressed them by bundling the
curds in chesecloth and setting them between 2 plates with weights on top.
After 2 days, they were green cheese. The whey I made into 1 qt of lemonaid
by juicing 8 lemons and mixing in an equal amount of honey and turning into
a syrup, then dilluting with the whey. The best way i can suggest of faking
the tste out is by melting and clarifying a few tbsp of butter, and adding a
few drops to a glass of lemonaid. That left me with about 1 gallon of whey,
about 1  qt i took as is to show what plain whey was like, and I made 12
loaves of bread with the rest. I took 2 of the loaves with me. I also
explained that whey would have also gone to slop the pigs and chickens.
As I said, it was very well recieved, and I had fun doing it. I got people
to try the plain and lemon whey, the cheese and the bread with and without
the butter. I was planning to make schimmercaise with some whey, but a garb
attack took precedence and it burned beyond saving.
margali